Saturday, June 28, 2008

Will Dr. Horrible Be A Breakout Hit?

I've always been a huge fan of the work of Joss Whedon. So I've paid attention to Dr. Horrible's Sing-along Blog, a new web-based project of Whedon's which features Neil Patrick Harris and web show veteran Felicia Day. It also includes Nathan Fillion from Whedon's wonderful but short-lived series Firefly. And Day was also a minor character on Buffy: The Vampire Slayer, the show that made me a fan of Whedon's work in the first place.

But what prompted this post was a post on TV Squad asking if Dr. Horrible could become a big hit that transcends the web and achieves mainstream popularity. My first instinct is a resounding "no." I'm not saying that Dr. Horrible won't be good, I'm saying that it will be too weird, too geeky, and too cynical. Judging it just from the teaser video, I see a farce—probably a hilarious farce if Whedon's record is any indication but a farce never the less. While I don't think it will be a huge mainstream success, I'm definitely convinced that it will be a cult classic like just about everything that Joss Whedon has ever done.


Teaser from Dr. Horrible's Sing-Along Blog on Vimeo.

No comments: