Thursday, June 4, 2009

Spam Recipes In My Email?


I'm used to getting spam. What I'm not used to is getting spam recipes. That's what GMail has been doing just now. I opened my GMail Inbox and clicked on the Spam folder to clear out my spam. Suddenly, the tiny ad link next to the Inbox turned into a link to a recipe for a "Creamy Spam Broccoli Casserole."

It happened a little later as well. I opened my browser again. GMail was already loaded in a tab and opened my Inbox automatically. I had no new email but two messages in my Spam folder, so I clicked on it. Suddenly, the ad changed again, this time to an ad for "Spam Imperial Tortilla Sandwiches" which actually looks like it might be pretty good.

Now that's a pretty curious glitch in Google's ad algorithm that I've never noticed before. Google thinks that you are looking for spam recipes when you go to clear your Spam folder. I have to wonder how many times this happened before I noticed it and how often it happens to other people.

No comments: